Monday, August 25, 2008

Buzzy Beer Brewed!

Last night I brewed the Buzzy Beer after a trip up to the farm to get water.
I went back to the spring fed well to find out that it had been capped.
Our family also owned the farm across the road so we went to the pumphouse to draw some water.
This pumphouse is less than 100 yards away from Buzzy's spring so I am sure it is fed from the same aquifer. We let the water run for about 10 minutes. I tasted the water and as with all things involving Buzzy, it went way beyond what I was expecting. 'Our Man in the Field' relayed the info at pumpside that he occasionally fills his water tank on the sprayer with this water. If it sits a while it turns the tank a little yellow and leaves a line. He postulated that the water has a high iron content.

I tasted the water and it was extremely strong. It definitely had an iron effervescence about it. The water tasted very similar to every farm water I have ever tasted. There was also a fairly strong component of sulfur.

'Our Man in the Field' suggested, wisely, that I only use a little of the Buzzy water to "seed" the Buzzy beer. I agreed with that plan and only used 2 cups of buzzy water to seed the beer.

I had to change the hops just a little because Midwest Supplies didn't have the exact hops I needed. Here is the new hops bill:

60 minute boil -
Hallertau (German) 4.4%AA
Hersbrucker (German) 3.0%AA

10 minute boil -
Stryian Goldings Aroma 1.9%AA

The new IBU calculates to 14

After everything was mixed up the starting gravity was 1.100 - right on target to make a 9.5% beer.

No comments: