Sunday, August 17, 2008

Peach and Ginger Mead Part 6

I got back from Columbus and the mead wasn't bubbling anymore. I thought to myself, 'uh-oh, the mead is stuck'. Sometimes when you make mead or any alcohol for that matter, it will ferment for a while and then for whatever reason the yeast decides to die or take a nap. If it does this before all of the sugar is consumed then you have to take steps to remedy the problem.

The first step if you think your mead is stuck is to measure a specific gravity. This mead started at 1.112 so if I measured a repeat gravity and it was 1.065 then I would know that it wasn't done fermenting because it should finish much lower than that.

So anyway I measured the gravity and it was 0.996! This means that the mead has an alcohol by volume of 16.25%!! Now I have to decide if I should move it to the secondary fermenter or keep it in the primary with the fruit for another couple weeks.

No comments: