Friday, August 22, 2008

Plum Crazy Mead part 1

Last night I happened upon a plum tree that my grandfather planted years ago. It still had plums on the branches although it needs a thorough pruning very soon. Today we went back and picked 3 pounds of plums.

I am planning on making a mead using some of the honey I bought in Perry and the plums. I would like a nice plum flavor and 3 pounds of plums should be adequate to make 2 gallons of mead. I would like this mead to finish a little sweeter than my peach/ginger mead so I am going to use 6 pounds of honey in the 2 gallons of water.

I am planning to pick up some Lavlin D47 yeast for this mead. I should be able to get things going sometime this weekend or Monday morning. More news on this as it develops.

I think I am going to pick up some more honey from the guy in Perry next week.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

so...... how did it go? how did you put it together? i could use some details, just make my very first batch (very first! never made anything before... beer, wine mead, etc) Mine is plum also, i just racked it, looks ok, tasted a bit dry though. maybe i'll have to add some honey with the next racking.

Jeff said...

Good morning,

Just wondering how this went as well.

We picked about 10 pounds of plums off the bottom third of one of out three trees. Looking to make some mead and stumbled across your blog.

Cheers

Unknown said...

Wow that's amazing that you found this recently.... my posting was from almost a year ago and I'm just thinking about making another batch now. The other amazing part is that I just bottled it about two weeks ago and it turned out great! I can't believe it.... I'm sure it was beginner's luck because it was my very first attempt at fermenting anything. It is dry but has just enough residual to not be perfectly dry. Alcohol about 12%. Also I do not believe I can pick up on the plumbs, perhaps I needed a control batch to compare it with but I think the plumbs simply did not come through... and the squirrels ate every plumb on our tree this year (the neighbor's cat is gone) so I don't have that option now. I'll keep you posted on the new batch while the old batch begins aging and mellowing. Thanks, Joe