Sunday, August 17, 2008

Buzzy Beer, Planning Phase Part 4

As I was saying earlier, I decided to change Buzzy Beer a little. I want a nice strong beer but I don't want it as bitter as a Barleywine would be. I changed my mind after I had this Belgian beer made by these naughty Trappist monks. I have been researching feverishly. It is difficult to find much information on the Trappist beers because they are so secretive.

Buzzy Beer will be in the class of a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. I am planning to have it be about 9.5% alcohol with an IBU around 25. It will be very dark and somewhat sweet.

I was originally planning on doing this as an all-grain brew but I have decided to wait a bit before upgrading my equipment to be able to do an all-grain. So without further delay, here is the recipe:

Buzzy Beer
Specialty Grains
11 oz of Cara-Munich Malt (Belgium)
8 oz of Munich Malt (Germany)
3.5 oz of Chocolate Malt (UK)
2 oz of Biscuit Malt (Belgium)

Heat 1 gallon of water to 160 and pour over grains. Let sit for 30 minutes to steep. Strain grain water into the brew pot. Add an additional 1 gallon of 150 degree water to the grains and strain again. Bring water to a boil and add:

Boil Ingredients
9 pounds of Munton and Fison Extra Light Dry Malt Extract
1.67 pounds of Belgian Amber Candi Sugar

Hops boiled for 60 minutes
1 oz Styrian Goldings 5%AA
1 oz Hallertau Hersbrocker (German) 3.3% AA

Additional ingredients

1 t Irish moss added at 15 minutes left in boil

Last 10 mintues of boil hops

1/4 ounce Hallertau Hersbrocker (German)

Yeast

Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale

The priming for carbonation will be different for this batch. 3 days before it is time to bottle I will add another dose of the yeast. Right before bottling I will add 1 1/4 cups M&F extra light DME which has been boiled for 10 minutes in 2 cups water.

From what I have read, this beer will have to sit in the secondary for about 6 weeks and it takes about 10 weeks after you bottle to get the right amount of carbonation.

No comments: